Pics From Day 1 At The Westminster Dog Show [PHOTOS]
Music had its biggest night on Sunday, and now its the dogs' turn to have their night(s). The 135th Westminster Dog Show wraps up today at Madison Square Garden in New York. This year there are six new breeds being allowed in the competition: Icelandic sheepdogs, redbone coonhounds, Leonbergers, Boykin spaniels, cane corsos and bluetick coonhounds.
There are plenty of dogs and handlers making headlines this year including some of the gems from the Westminster website:
- A French Bulldog who nearly had to have foot amputated is competing.
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has his own book "Mondo Man: The Smartest Dog in all the Land."
- One owner attending his 50th consecutive Westminster dog show.
- A Black and Tan Coonhound has attracted attracting hundreds of Friends on her Facebook page.
- A former cast member of Survivor Nicaragua will be handling her Shetland Sheepdog.
- A top poodle arrived by private jet accompanied by her handler, handler's assistant, personal veterinarian, and personal photographer.
You can't go wring with cute pictures of dogs. But every time I think of dog shows I can't help but think of two things; "Best In Show", or the time Conan sent Triumph the insult comic dog to visit Westminster. (I'd love to link a Youtube clip of that, but it appears they've all been taken down for copyright issues. The next best thing you can do is see it on the Best of Triumph DVD.)