2015 Memorial Day Ceremonies & Services in Larimer and Weld County
A number of events are planned for Memorial Day in Northern Colorado for 2015. We have put together a list for you.
If you see obvious omissions or something that needs to be added to the list email me at email@example.com
The Ault VFW and Eaton VFW will host a celebration at 11 a.m. on Memorial Day at the Ault Cemetery.
- Beginning Friday, May 22, 2015, there will be over 4,000 American Flags on display at the Plaza honoring the U.S. fallen of WWII. That evening beginning at 6:30 PM, enjoy musical entertainment and at dusk a “movie on the lawn” featuring the WWII classic “The Longest Day.” There is no charge for these events. Bring a blanket and enjoy the show. There will be Taps, bagpiper, and Honor Guard at 1900 hrs.
- Saturday, May 23, see WWII era vehicles and re-enactors at the Plaza. They will remain through Monday 25.
- Also on Saturday there will be a Victory Day Dance at the Fort Collins Senior Center. The dance will be hosted by donors and will feature the thirteen piece big band Just for Kicks and the American Bombshells, an Andrew Sisters tribute group.
- Sunday, May 24, is the annual ceremony at the Plaza. Displays and veteran oriented vendors will be on site beginning at 0900 hrs through 1600 hrs. The ceremony will commence at noon and run through 1300 hrs. Vintage vehicles, veteran oriented vendors, food, a WWII aircraft flyover, and big band will be featured. There will be Taps, bagpiper, and Honor Guard at 1900 hrs.
- Monday, May 25th, the Plaza will be open to the public for viewing. Taps will be conducted at 1500 hrs. The 4,000 flags will be retired at that point.
Linn Grove Cemetery at 1700 Cedar Ave., will host its 2015 Memorial Day Program on Monday, May 25, at 9 a.m. The program will feature: Emcee Bob Bernd, Retired United State Marine Core Major Stephen Kintzley as the keynote speaker, White Doves for Hope release, the Greeley Police Department Honor Guard, and numerous military organizations
The American Legion Auxiliary Unit 180 will host a Memorial Day Celebration at the American Legion Post 180, located at 595 Railroad Avenue in Keenesburg, on Monday, May 25th starting at 11:00am. The guest speaker for the Event will be our own Charley Barnes who will be embarking on his second 10,000 mile, 10 day endurance ride in June to raise funds for Honor Flight Northern Colorado.
From the Loveland Reporter Herald:
- Associated Veterans of Loveland will hold a ceremony at Loveland Burial Park on Monday at 9 a.m. Monday on the south side of the burial park. Guest speaker Col. Nick Pizzuti will talk about how Memorial Day got started and the Associated Veterans Honor Guard will do a 21-gun salute and play taps during the ceremony.
- The Knights of Columbus Assembly 2615 will also have its annual Memorial Day Service at 9:15 a.m. Monday at the Veterans Shrine on the northeast corner of St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church's campus, 1730 W. 12th St., Loveland. A Memorial Catholic Mass will start at 8:30 a.m., followed by the service honoring veterans. Loveland Police Chief Luke Hecker will speak and the Honor Guard will be provided by the Knights of Columbus and Civil Air Patrol cadets.
- Resthaven Funeral Home and Memorial Gardens Cemetery at 8426 S. College Ave., between Loveland and Fort Collins has a few events going on this weekend:
- The El Jebel Shrine Pipe band will perform in a special concert at 10 a.m. Saturday.
- The funeral home will host an American flag sky-diving demonstration at 6:45 p.m. Sunday followed by a concert by the Queen City Jazz Band at 7 p.m. and fireworks at 8:30 p.m.
- A traditional Memorial Day service will be Monday at 10:30 a.m. with a performance by Reveille 3, the Andrews Sister Tribute Band, at 11:30 a.m.
Windsor American Legion Post 109 will be having a ceremony at Lakeview cemetery at 10 am. They are also hosting a Breakfast from 7-10 at 624 Ash St. Veterans eat free, All others it is $5