Can candy canes kill? The answer is yes as they contain an ingredient called Xylitol which, according to Preventive Vet, poisons well over 6,000 dogs every year.

Xylitol is a sugar-free sweetener often found in gum and many peanut butter brands.

According to WideOpenPets, a woman recently contacted her local news station to warn other pet owners after her dog, Harleigh, ingested a candy cane and passed away the following day.

Preventive Vet says, when your pet ingests Xylitol it can cause liver failure and hypoglycemia regardless of the dogs weight.

Symptoms include but aren't limited to:

  • Weakness or lethargy
  • Walking drunk
  • Depression
  • Seizures
  • Vomiting
  • Racing heart rate
  • Trembling
  • Black stool
  • Bruising

Doctors advise not to induce vomiting as this may do more harm than good and to call your vet immediately if your dog ingests minty gum, a lollipop or anything with Xylitol.

Vets also encourage you not to hang candy canes low on your Christmas tree and to check the ingredients before giving your dog peanut butter.