What You Need to Know About COVID ‘4th Wave’ in Colorado
Here's the takeaway from Colorado Governor Jared Polis' COVID-19 update on Tuesday, April 20, 2021.
- Over 500 people are currently hospitalized with COVID-19, the most since the end of January
- Half of Coloradans, and youth under 16, are still not vaccinated
- Less people over the age of 60 are hospitalized, more hospitalizations seen in those under the age of 60
- No vaccine is 100 percent effective, however there is a 93 to 95 percent reduction of COVID-19 cases in Colorado for those who are fully vaccinated
- Higher rates of transmission seen in Southern Colorado
- 1 in 7,000 vaccinated people have had a reported case of COVID-19 in Colorado
- Fully vaccinated people are 94.6 percent less likely to have a reported case than unvaccinated people in Colorado
- Johnson & Johnson/ Janssen vaccine is still on hold
- Counties now set COVID-19 restrictions locally
- Herd immunity will be reached when 70 to 80 percent of population is vaccinated, and then we can party
- Until then, keep wearing a mask and avoid large gatherings with unvaccinated people
The NoCo Virus Tracker articles are made possible by our partners, the Keep NoCo Open campaign that reminds citizens to wear a mask, wash your hands, physically distance and support local as Northern Colorado recovers from the COVID-19 pandemic.