With the way things are these days, a lot more folks are cooking at home, which can have more pitfalls than you might think. For example, the Poudre Fire Authority recently responded to a grease fire that started in the kitchen.

Three people were displaced after a grease fire in Fort Collins got out of control on Wednesday, April 29, 2020,

The Poudre Fire Authority arrived within five minutes of getting the call and got the fire extinguished quickly, but not before the fire had caused lots of smoke and plenty of damage, including burning the doorbell, which was 20 feet away.

The Poudre Fire Authority states that cooking is the main cause of house fires.

To protect yourself, here's some things to remember while cooking safely:

  • NEVER leave a pan unattended.
  • Turn pot handles in. Make sure your handles are turned toward the back of the stove. This prevents people from bumping into them or children from grabbing them.
  • Keep a lid or sheet pan near your cooking area. Use it to cover a pan if it catches on fire. This will extinguish the flames.
Enter your number to get our free mobile app