Over the next few days to a week, I should be finishing up my Beetle Kill 10 seat dining room table. Both my wife and myself will be happy when it is done. I have learned so much while working on the table, however, it has taken me a lot longer than I initially thought it would.

Matt Sparx

Some of the main reasons are space issues and lack of proper storage for other items in the garage. When we moved in to the house, we had 5 metal and wood shelving units. Two of those have been used for an outfeed table for my table saw. Now that I have a new saw, they do not align height wise. Which means they will have to be used elsewhere. Those have been my primary storage locations and have been nothing short of less than optimal. I have to admit, I am a bit embarrassed to show this photo of my garage... But it is good motivation to get it cleaned up an organized.

Matt Sparx

Notice there are no drawers for me to put my stuff away and keep organized... So my next project as soon as the table is done will be an overhaul of my storage solution and a place to house my compound miter saw. One of the channels I like to follow on Youtube is Jay Bates AKA Jay's Custom Creations. He has made a pretty epic miter saw station and I plan to do something similar.

I will be modifying these plans to better suit my garage. My change of plans include:

  • moving the left side of the station to the right side and the right to the left
  • Omitting the cubby boxes a the top
  • Adding length to the right side to span the width of my garage to accommodate a workbench for automotive and other miscellaneous workings.
  • More drawers near or under the workbench area for tools.

This storage solution should alleviate 90% of my clutter issues. As I have discovered that not having drawers to put items in has been nothing short of a nightmare when it comes to finding things in the garage. The remaining 10% of the clutter should be taken care of with a custom built outfeed table for my table saw and a wall hanging clamp rack.

If all goes according to plan, I should begin to start this build the last week of February or the beginning of March!

Additionally, if you know of a great place to purchase 3/4" hardwood plywood, please reach out to me to let me know at : Sparx@K99.com