10 Things More Likely To Happen Than You Winning The 500 Million Dollar Powerball Jackpot
If you haven’t already heard, (or seen lines of foolishly hopefully thinkers buying lottery tickets) Wednesday night’s Powerball jackpot is estimated to be half-a-BILLION dollars.
That’s a lot of scratch.But before you cash in your kid’s college savings to go buy Powerball tickets, do you know what your odds of winning are?
It says right on the Colorado Lottery website: “Odds of winning jackpot prize 1 in 176 million.”
What happenings have odds better then you getting Powerball-rich?:
- The Denver Broncos winning the Super Bowl: 1 in 10
- Being injured by fireworks: 1 in 19,556
- Being struck by lightning: 1 in 3,000
- Becoming a pro athlete: 1 in 24,550
- Dating a super model: 1 in 88,000
- Being dealt a royal flush in poker: 1 in 649,740
- Winning an Olympic medal: 1 in 662,000
- Finding buried treasure in your back yard: 1 in 1,800,000
- Being killed from parts that fall off of an airplane: 1 in 10,000,000
- Being attacked by a shark: 1 in 11.5 million
Yes, you are 17-times more likely to be killed by parts that fall off of an airplane that you are to win the Powerball jackpot. Tough luck sunshine.
Now, after saying all that; I admit that I am going to break down and buy a few tickets for myself. I’m in a decent place financially, and I don’t mind chancing a few dollars on a Scrooge McDuck-sized fortune instead of buying a soda at the gas station.
I’m a sucker for that many decimal places.
What would you do with $500,000,000?